Edward H. Arens
Ned Arens' practice focuses on "qui tam" whistleblower cases as well as whistleblower claims filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Internal Revenue Service. He has worked on many types of whistleblower matters, including:
- A whistleblower case against Office Depot that the company paid $68.5 million to settle. Office Depot allegedly overcharged more than 1,000 cities, counties, school districts and other government entities for office supplies.
- A False Claims Act lawsuit brought by a whistleblower against Alliant Techsystems (ATK), which settled for $37 million. The lawsuit alleged the company sold the US Air Force defective flares that were used to provide illumination for military operations.
- SEC whistleblower claims, including claims relating to accounting fraud, disclosure failures, misleading financial products and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- IRS whistleblower claims involving complex tax shelters used by the financial industry and wealthy taxpayers.
- Medicare and Medicaid fraud, including cases relating to defective medical devices and cases involving Medicaid managed care plans, Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Part D plans.
- Excessive purchasing and overcharging by government contractors with Defense Department supply contracts.
- Fraud in contracts involving small business set-aside programs.
Mr. Arens has been published in Accounting Today, where he examined the IRS Whistleblower Program and why it hasn't flourished like other government whistleblower reward programs have in recent years.
Mr. Arens graduated magna cum laude from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, where he was a senior production editor of the Hastings Law Journal. While in law school, he was a legal intern with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the General Counsel, and with the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
Mr. Arens is admitted to the bar in California.
Areas of Practice
- Whistleblower/Qui Tam
- Government Agencies & Programs
- Government Contracts
- Health & Health Care Law
- Whistleblower -- Employee
- Tax Law
- Securities Law
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Law Journal: Hastings Law Journal, Senior Production Editor