Harry Litman graduated in 1986 from the University of California School of Law (Boalt Hall), where he was editor-in-chief of the California Law Review. Before law school and while a law student, Mr. Litman worked as a sportswriter for Associated Press. Following law school, Mr. Litman served as a law clerk to Judge Abner Mikva of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit; Justice Thurgood Marshall of the United States Supreme Court; and Justice Anthony Kennedy of the United States Supreme Court.
After working in private practice in Pittsburgh, Mr. Litman in 1990 became an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of California (San Francisco). From 1993 until 1998, he served as a Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Department of Justice, with responsibility for issues of constitutional law and prosecutorial policy. He was simultaneously a Special Assistant United States Attorney litigating federal cases in the Eastern District of Virginia.
From 1998 to 2001, following nomination by the President and unanimous confirmation by the Senate, Mr. Litman served as the United States Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania. As United States Attorney, he launched and directed a number of law-enforcement initiatives, while overseeing a 20 percent increase in federal prosecutions and personally litigating cases in both the district court and the court of appeals. In July 2000, Mr. Litman was nominated by the President to a federal judgeship on the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Litman has taught at the University of California School of Law (Boalt Hall), the Georgetown Law Center, Princeton University, Rutgers University School of Law, the University of Pittsburgh Law School, and the Department of Justice Advocacy Institute, and has published several articles on federal law and practice.
A member of the Bars of Pennsylvania and California, Mr. Litman has extensive litigation experience in courts around the country, from state trial courts to the U.S. Supreme Court, where he was co-counsel in two recent cases. He is listed in "Best Lawyers in America," "Pennsylvania SuperLawyers," "Who's Who in American Law," and "Who's Who in America."
Areas of Practice
- Whistleblower/Qui Tam
- Government Agencies & Programs
- Government Contracts
- Health & Health Care Law
- Whistleblower -- Employee
- Tax Law
- Securities Law
- California, 1986
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California - 1986
- Law Review: California Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
- Adjunct Professor, University of California, Boalt Hall, School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown Law Center
- Adjunct Professor, University of Pittsburgh Law School
- Instructor, Department of Justice Advocacy Institute
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America
- Pennsylvania SuperLawyers
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who in America
Past Employment Positions
- Associate Press, Sportswriter
- Hon. Abner Mikva, Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Law Clerk
- Hon. Thurgood Marshall, Justice, United States Supreme Court, Law Clerk
- Hon. Anthony Kennedy, Justice, United States Supreme Court, Law Clerk
- Northern District of California, San Francisco, Assistant United States Attorney
- Department of Justice, Deputy Assistant Attorney General, 1993 - 1998
- Eastern District of Virginia, Special Assistant United States Attorney
- Western District of Pennsylvania, United States Attorney, 1998 - 2001