Matthew Smith manages and assists with the development of potential new whistleblower cases for Phillips & Cohen.
Mr. Smith was an important part of the Phillips & Cohen teams working on qui tam (whistleblower) cases against:
- Healthcare giant HCA ($881 million global settlement that covered two qui tam lawsuits brought by Philips & Cohen)
- Wall Street investment guru Mario Gabelli and his associates ($130 million settlement)
- Medtronic Spine LLC ($75 million)
- Dozens of hospitals for Medicare billing fraud (settlements total more than $105 million)
- Harris County Hospital District, Houston, Texas ($15.5 million)
- Kos Pharmaceuticals ($14 million)
- Oracle ($8 million)
Mr. Smith graduated from Gonzaga University School of Law, where he served as president of the Student Bar Association and as student delegate to the American Bar Association. While in law school, he interned at the Torts Division of the Washington State Attorney General’s Office.
Mr. Smith is admitted to the bar in Washington, DC.