Phillips & Cohen is one of the few law firms devoted exclusively to representing whistleblowers in cases brought under federal and state whistleblower reward programs. We are the only law firm that has won for its clients whistleblower rewards under three separate government programs: the False Claims Act, the Securities and Exchange Commission whistleblower program and the Internal Revenue Service whistleblower program.
We stand out for our work on whistleblower cases in four ways:
Our record of success with whistleblower cases
2) Our attorneys
3) Our approach to qui tam cases, IRS, SEC and CFTC whistleblower cases
4) Our expertise in whistleblower reward programs and whistleblower litigation
- Whistleblower cases brought by Phillips & Cohen attorneys have recovered more than $11.6 billion in civil and related criminal settlements for government entities - a record of success that far exceeds any other law firm.
- We have earned whistleblower rewards for our clients that total more than $1 billion.
- Phillips & Cohen won for a client the largest SEC whistleblower award under the Dodd-Frank whistleblower program: more than $30 million.
- We have brought successful whistleblower cases against some of the nation's largest corporations, including GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer Inc., Northrop Grumman, General Electric, Quest Diagnostics, Hewlett-Packard Co., HCA Inc. and Goldman Sachs.
- For our work on whistleblower cases, Phillips & Cohen and its attorneys have been recognized by top legal publications. The accolades include the "Hot List" of the top dozen or so plaintiffs' law firms for 2004, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2015 ( National Law Journal); "500 Leading Lawyers in America" for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013-2014 ( Lawdragon); and more.
- A founding partner, John R. Phillips (now retired), played a key role in helping Congress write and pass the modern-day False Claims Act that strengthened the whistleblower provisions and increased the reward for whistleblowers.
- Peter P. Budetti, an attorney and physician, is a former deputy administrator with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Phillips & Cohen partner, Claire M. Sylvia, is the author of a leading legal reference book on the False Claims Act and qui tam lawsuits, which is cited in qui tam cases and court rulings.
- Another partner Erika A. Kelton is a regular contributor to Forbes.com, where she writes about whistleblowers, fraud and related issues in her online column, Fraud Matters.
- Other partners include a former Senate committee counsel, a former Department of Justice appeals court attorney and experienced litigators from the nation's best law firms.
- Phillips & Cohen attorneys have an expertise in all government whistleblower reward programs - qui tam, SEC, CFTC, IRS and state whistleblower reward programs -- that few other law firms can match. The firm's lawyers have been pioneers in applying the False Claims Act to recovering funds in such diverse areas as medical lab testing, municipal bond sales and foreign military aid.
If you are considering filing a qui tam lawsuit or a whistleblower claim and would like to discuss the matter at no charge, please contact us.