WASHINGTON, DC, Aug. 19, 2021 – Five Phillips & Cohen attorneys have been selected for Best Lawyers in America 2022 edition for their work representing whistleblowers.
Phillips & Cohen partners Mary Louise Cohen, Erika Kelton, Peter Chatfield and Colette Matzzie as well as Of Counsel Larry Zoglin are included in the Best Lawyers’ list. Cohen additionally is being recognized specifically in the healthcare law category.
- Mary Louise Cohen is a co-founder of Phillips & Cohen LLP and a key voice in shaping the contemporary False Claims Act practice. Her noteworthy qui tam wins include a case against Quest Diagnostics that was settled for $302 million, which was the largest amount paid by a medical lab company for a faulty healthcare product. Lawdragon has dubbed her the “the Queen of Qui Tam” for her work representing whistleblowers.
- Erika Kelton is an internationally celebrated whistleblower attorney whose work has yielded record-setting settlements, including the majority of the largest healthcare fraud settlements ever: $3 billion by GlaxoSmithKline and $2.3 billion by Pfizer. Kelton also represented an international whistleblower who received one of the largest awards under the SEC whistleblower program, more than $32 million. She regularly writes about whistleblower matters and corporate fraud for Forbes.com.
- Peter Chatfield’s whistleblower cases include one against HCA, one of the nation’s largest healthcare providers, which was the basis for the bulk of HCA’s $881 million settlement, and a case against Adventist Health System, which settled for $118.7 million. An episode of the CBS program, Whistleblower, told the story of another client and his case against pharmaceutical company Cephalon. The qui tam lawsuit, which was included in Cephalon’s $425 million settlement, alleged Cephalon was engaging in off-label marketing of a fentanyl lollipop and other prescription drugs.
- Colette Matzzie has represented whistleblowers in a number of significant qui tam lawsuits, including a groundbreaking case against electronic health records vendor eClinicalWorks, which settled for $155 million. That case and another whistleblower case she brought against Chartwells, a school food services contractor, were prominently featured in separate episodes of the CBS show, Whistleblower.
- Larry Zoglin represents whistleblowers in qui tam cases as well as under the SEC and IRS whistleblower programs. He was the lead attorney in a qui tam alleging skilled nursing facilities owned by the Ensign Group were engaged in a Medicare billing fraud scheme. The case settled for $48 million. Zoglin also served as counsel in the eClinicalWorks case.
Kelton, Chatfield, and Cohen also were recognized in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers in America. Phillips & Cohen LLP has been selected for Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” list five consecutive years, most recently in the 2021 edition.
Best Lawyers’ lists are based on feedback received from other top lawyers working in the same practice areas and geographic regions.
If you are aware of fraud against the government or corporate wrongdoing that violates securities or commodities laws and would like to discuss your situation with experienced whistleblower lawyers, contact Phillips & Cohen for a free, confidential review.
ABOUT PHILLIPS & COHEN
Phillips & Cohen is the most successful law firm representing whistleblowers, with recoveries from our cases totaling over $12.8 billion. We have been recognized for our work by numerous national awards. Our attorneys and cases have been in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times and other news media. Phillips & Cohen’s roster includes former federal prosecutors, the first head of the SEC Office of the Whistleblower, a former deputy administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the author of a leading treatise on the False Claims Act and attorneys with decades of experience representing whistleblowers. Contact us.