WASHINGTON, DC, Nov. 3, 2023 –Phillips & Cohen LLP has been named to U.S. News Best Lawyers® 2024 “Best Law Firms” list for the law firm’s work representing whistleblowers. This is the eighth year in a row that Phillips & Cohen has been recognized on the “Best Law Firms” list. The law firm is known for its practices in SEC and CFTC whistleblower lawsuits, with former directors of the SEC’s and CFTC’s whistleblower offices serving as partners in the firm. Phillips & Cohen clients also won the largest SEC whistleblower award in 2022, totaling $40 million.
Best Lawyers and U.S. News & World Report say the “Best Law Firms” honorees have “an impressive overall performance in … a given practice area.”
Phillips & Cohen is ranked as a “Metropolitan Tier 1” law firm in healthcare law on the regional “Best Law Firms” list for Washington, DC, in the healthcare law category.
The Tier 1 label, according to Best Lawyers, reﬂects a law ﬁrm’s standing among other leading lawyers and clients in the same regions and corresponding practice areas.
To be eligible for the 2024 recognition, a law firm must have at least one lawyer in The Best Lawyers in America list for that particular location and specialty. For 2024, 12 Phillips & Cohen whistleblower attorneys—Mary Louise Cohen, Erika Kelton, Peter Chatfield, Colette Matzzie, Claire Sylvia, Stephen Hasegawa, Jeffrey Dickstein, Sean McKessy, Edward Arens, Amy Easton, Matthew Smith, and of counsel, Larry Zoglin, are included in the 2024 list for Best Lawyers for their work in qui tam law.
Phillips & Cohen’s 2023 Whistleblower Wins
Phillips & Cohen has had an exceptional year, settling 12 whistleblower cases in the past 10 months, including:
- A case with the SEC that resulted in a $9 million reward for the whistleblower.
- An award of $1.9 million from the SEC for a Phillips & Cohen whistleblower client.
- A qui tam lawsuit against KBR Services that settled for $108.75 million, the largest cash settlement ever obtained in connection with Iraq War fraud.
- CenCal Health and seven hospitals and clinics agreed to pay a total of $95.5 million to the federal government and the state of California to settle a whistleblower lawsuit that alleged Medicaid and Medi-Cal fraud.
- A qui tam lawsuit against electronic health records provider NextGen Healthcare, Inc. that settled for $31 million for alleged violations of the federal False Claims Act.
- Lincare Holdings Inc., a durable medical equipment company that supplies oxygen to patients with respiratory issues, agreed to pay $29 million to settle a whistleblower lawsuit. The case is believed to be the first successful case against a healthcare supplier for overcharging the Medicare Advantage program.
- Martin’s Point Health Care Inc., a provider of healthcare in Maine and New Hampshire, agreed to pay $22.48 million to resolve allegations that it violated the federal False Claims Act. The lawsuit is believed to be the largest settlement in Maine under the False Claims Act.
The “Best Law Firms” list is based on an evaluation process that includes client and lawyer evaluations and peer reviews by leading attorneys in their field.
Achieving a tiered ranking in U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” signals a unique combination of quality law practice and breadth of legal expertise. Ranked ﬁrms, presented in three tiers, are recognized on a national and regional-based scale. Firms that received a tier designation reﬂect the highest level of respect a ﬁrm can earn among other leading lawyers and clients from the same communities and practice areas.
ABOUT PHILLIPS & COHEN
Phillips & Cohen is the most successful law firm representing whistleblowers, with recoveries from our cases totaling over $12.8 billion. Phillips & Cohen’s roster includes former federal prosecutors, the first head of the SEC Office of the Whistleblower, the former director of the CFTC’s Whistleblower Office, a former deputy administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the author of a leading treatise on the False Claims Act and attorneys with decades of experience representing whistleblowers. Contact us.